Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We were having lunch at a cafe after taking the long route on our bicycle to get groceries. The gentleman sitting next to us had watched us park the tandem outside and nodded hello and we began a conversation. My husband commented that it had been a hard ride and we were very hungry. He patted him on the leg and said- “at least you are still able to cycle”. He told us he was ‘more than 90’ and still rode his bike. He said the pleasure was in still being able to make the pedals go round. He also told us he didn’t mind the hills, it was worth the effort because the joy was in the downhills. I made up my mind that I wanted to have that attitude when I was ‘more than 90’.

It reminded me of how I do actually love the struggle of cycling up hills because there are no words to describe the feeling of getting to the top, often pausing to relish the view (and catch my breath) then experiencing the absolute joy of going down hill.
I’m wondering if I would feel the same if I didn’t have to make the effort to get to the top-probably not. It is the whole not the part that is what makes it for me.

Similarly with other experiences, when we can look back on the effort, the joy in getting to the end is more intense. How does this fit with the concepts of learning goals and performance goals? Yes the goal is the top of the hill, but the joy is the getting there. If I were to take a bus in the forest to only go down the mountain bike paths then I would be orienting to performance goals. But I will never take that bus-unless perhaps I am more than 90!

When visiting centres there is such a difference when children are more focused on learning goals- where the purpose is to enjoy the struggle, collaborate, argue, problem solve and revisit ideas until satisfied. In places such as these there is always a buzz of conversation, engaged teachers and children who are ready to share their current working theories. The journey to the tops of the hill may be short or long, but seeing children relishing the challenge of the journey is a wonderful thing to see.
I think the discussions over Learning Goals versus Performance Goals will be increasingly important as teachers think about the purpose behind the ‘activity’; particularly as our colleagues in other sectors are confronted with the requirements of a Performance Goals approach to assessment.

2 comments:

Marlise Shadbolt said...

Being "more than 90" is an excellent state of mind and one well worth achieving - well done Alison, I plan to be 100 and have done for a long time, so I think somehow we will make it, hopefully, making a difference as we go.

gordon said...

I like the illustration and meaning you draw from it.
It also reminds me of a comment on a T shirt I have;
"the journey is the destination"